Friday, January 20, 2012

Laying Aside Dread

It was really hard to get out of bed this morning.  Fact:  My body and brain have already had a full week but I need to do one more day before I get to relax a little.   Remember how I wrote about the ways our enemy can sneak in and take advantage of the facts?  Well, I forgot.  So I lay there feeling like I didn't have what it would take to get through the day.

"Lay aside the thing that 'so easily besets'."

I recognized those words.  How do you lay aside exhaustion...or was there something else?  (I was starting to remember!)

Dread.

Yep, that was it.  The thing that snuck in through the fact door was dread.  And dread doesn't belong to me, it's not the truth that applies to my life.

So I adapted Hebrews 12:1 for my life today:  "I am stripping off every weight that slows me down, especially the dread that so easily trips me up.  Let me run with endurance the race God has set before me.  I do this by keeping my eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects my faith."

Dread was blocking out the sun.  My day contains many duties and responsibilities, but it also holds the promise of good things.  He's already appointed times to meet with me and refresh my spirit.  I'd miss it all with my eyes and hands clenched shut with dread.

Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk,
for I give myself to you.

Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God
May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.

Psalm 143:8 & 10


(If you can relate to this post at all and feel like you need a musical boost, click here for a song guaranteed to get you going!)

2 comments:

  1. Very encouraged by this post. I pray your day goes really well. May you feet be like the feet of a deer and enable you to go onto the heights (today)(Habbakuk 3:19) A life verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this michelle...so encouraging on this day. donna xo

    ReplyDelete