Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I AM

"He spoke to them saying, take courage!  I AM!  Stop being afraid!"  So said the little paper for Week 1, Day 4.


Stop being afraid.  Good words first thing in the morning when someone is already disobeying.  Fear.  Yep, that's what makes me want to react with control and anger.  Stop being afraid, take courage, because I AM is with you.

Waaaaay back, a long time ago, Moses asked God about His name.  God told Moses to tell the people that I AM is His eternal name.  I always wonder if Moses had been hoping for something more specific.

I AM.

It's mysterious, enigmatic, awe-inspiring.

There are seventeen names for God in the Old Testament and well over 100 other words are used to describe Him, but this is the one He chose to describe Himself.

I AM.  It encapsulates all that He is.  He is now.  My mind scurries to the future far too often.  He'll be there when I get there and that is enough.  Right now is the moment I am in and He is too.  Whatever I need in this moment, He is.

I needed courage and wisdom to deal with the disobedient child.  I AM.  With me, then and there, in that moment.

I needed humour and joy to carry us through the last hour of school.  I AM.

I needed courage and peace to put my daughter on the bus for the overnight ski trip.  I AM.  With me and with her.

I needed a provider when I looked at the stack of bills.  I AM.

The list is endless, but He is constant.  I AM.

It was good to be aware all through the day that He is, was, and will be all that I need.  I AM.

I am the Alpha and the Omega--
the Beginning and the End.
To all who are thirsty
 I will give freely from the springs of the water of life.

Revelation 21:6

Matthew 14:27
Exodus 3:14-15
This post is part of the series Love in a Box

1 comment:

  1. I AM...even here in Belize, where my life in Canada seems soooo far away! Praying Jesus shines through me here, even though I'm a guest...

    ReplyDelete