Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hunting Despots

It's the Ides of March and I find myself pondering why we annually remark on the death of an ancient Caesar?  Aside from the fact that it just has a nice ring.  As do the immortalized words of said dead Caesar, "Et tu, Brute?"

Poor old Julius Caesar got too high an opinion of himself and started demanding the sort of respect generally afforded to deities.  This didn't go over well with his more democratically-minded subjects so they, uh, "removed" him from the throne.

The death of another Man 2000 years ago has profoundly influenced my life, but this Caesar?  It's fascinating history.  I've decided the best way to observe the day is to hunt down other despots.

Don't worry, the sword in my hand is metaphorical.  I'm after those things that try to steal the throne of my heart.  Unfortunately, I've discovered that most of the strongmen have titles starting with the pronoun "my," such as My Agenda, My Opinion, My Money...  You get the idea.

The greatest tyrant contending for the throne may well be My Reputation.  The lord of My Reputation would like to ensure that everyone thinks and says nice things about me all the time.  I would like you to think I'm an Amazing Mother, but inevitably my son will belch at just the wrong moment or a full-blown battle will ensue in the pew during the closing hymn.  I'd love for you to think I'm a Pillar in the Community because I can volunteer for your personal pet project, but I find I'm already committed to more than I can juggle gracefully.  I'd like you to think I'm a Spiritual Giant with all the answers to life's big questions, but I find myself without a lot of answers, yet with a confidence that I can trust the One who has carried me through more than I could possibly manage on my own.

He is the One I want sitting on my Heart-Throne.  All these other masters are demanding, unforgiving, and capricious.  The King I seek is full of grace.  He embraces and strengthens me in times of weakness and wondering.  His eyes are full of love.

Down with all other lords!

Who may climb the mountain of the Lord?
Who may stand in his holy place?
Only those whose hands and hearts are pure,
who do not worship idols...
They will receive the Lord's blessing 
and have a right relationship with God their savior.
Such people may seek you and worship in your presence, O God of Jacob.

Open up, ancient gates!
Open up ancient doors and let the King of glory enter.
Who is the King of glory?
The Lord, strong and mighty; the Lord, invincible in battle.
Open up, ancient gates!
Open up, ancient doors, and let the King of glory enter.

Who is the King of glory?
The Lord of Heaven's Armies--he is the King of glory.

Psalm 24:3-10 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment