Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Keepin' On

I had only one nerve left and he got on it.  There was simply nothing left to give.  Not one ounce of sweet, motherly patience.  Zip.  Nada.

There's no end in sight.  When, if ever, will he say, "Sure, Mom!  No problem.  I'll get right on that."

I've polled numerous moms with really fine grown children.  They have a lot of grey hair, but they kind of chuckle about "those days."  They tell me he might say something like that.  Might.  Someday.  Probably not any time soon.

So I just feel tired.  I try to remember the last time I took my vitamin D.  I wonder when the sun is going to shine again.

I'm pretty sure the only cure is a child-free week on a hot beach.

Except that's not an option.

Some things just require faithfulness.  Full-of-faith-ness. The day-in-and-day-out doing of the right thing.

Faith that in due season we will reap a good harvest, if we don't give up.

Faith that spring will come.

Faith that boundary-testing sons will grow into strong men.

Faith that the unsung routines don't go unnoticed by the One who has entrusted us with the task.  He promises a "crown of life" for those who are faithful to the end.  I have no idea precisely what a crown of life is, but I'm pretty sure I'd like it.

The very good news is that even when we are not faithful, He is.  So He pours His grace into my empty, rock-bottom, end-of-my rope soul, and puts me back on my feet again.  Not exactly kicking up my heels, but chin up and one foot in front of the other.

I'm going to make supper now.  Again.

I'm blessing you today in whatever faith-filled task you're on.

So let's not get tired of doing what is good.
At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing 
if we don't give up.

Galatians 6:9

*Revelation 2:10; 2 Timothy 2:13

3 comments:

  1. Keep on keepin' on...yes! Thank you, M, for blogging. Is it any coincidence I had that horrid song, "Climb Every Mountain" from Sound of Music in my head today? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no!! Now it's in mine too! ;-) Climb, Hil, climb!!

      Delete
  2. You're doing the right thing, my sweet niece. And when they get big and grown and keep on loving you and wanting to spend time with you, you know that you must have done something right. The other night my almost 32-year-old eldest son saw tears welling in my eyes as I spoke of my grief at the loss of a friend and he got up and sat close to me to put his arm around me. That's when you forgive all those snapped nerves.

    ReplyDelete