Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Yearning

"I thought to myself, 'I would love to treat you as my own children!'
I wanted nothing more than to give you this beautiful land--
the finest possession in the world.
I looked forward to your calling me 'Father',
and I wanted you never to turn from me.
"My wayward children," says the Lord,
"come back to me and I will heal your wayward hearts."

Are you feeling lost? Or isolated? Like you've disappointed God? Or perhaps like He's disappointed you?

Can you hear the yearning of His heart for you? There is tender vulnerability in these words: I looked forward to your calling me 'Father'...I wanted you never to turn from me...I will heal you.

This is not the booming voice of an angry dictator nor the fierce bellow of judge.

He wants a relationship with you. Maybe there's no appeal to calling Him Father--He's offering to heal that pain.

The God who created the universe is tenderly calling you. He's not waiting or wanting to punish you--Christ bore all of that. He's offering to heal your heart.

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me.
Get away with me and you'll recover your life.
I'll show you how to take a real rest.



*Jer. 3:19, 22 NLT
Matthew 11:28 MSG

1 comment: