Saturday, October 8, 2011

Holy Moment

My favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner is when we pause in between the main course and dessert so everyone around the table can take a turn expressing gratitude for something significant in the last year.  There are always a few tears as well as a lot of laughter.  Sometimes it's a little awkward for a guest new to the tradition--until they've experienced it.  Something holy happens in those moments of giving thanks.

I recently heard someone say that "complaining can only come out of a heart of unbelief".  I've pondered it a bit and I think it's true.  If I'm complaining, it's because I don't believe His promise that He can and will work all things out for good--I'm not believing that His plans for good in my life trump the difficulty I'm facing in that moment.

The holy thing that happens when we pause to give thanks is that our faith is strengthened.  The God who accomplished these good things in our life is able to accomplish great things in and through the challenges ahead.  We believe.

My biggest "thankful things" this year are the fun of a surprise trip to California to visit our far-away family, the way He's led us into and blessed us in our homeschooling adventure, and the way He provided for our family through a very lean financial time.   Remembering these things, I believe that He'll be there for us until the calendar comes around to this holiday again--with surprise blessings and help through difficulties.   He is good!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness
Let the whole world know what he has done.
Sing to him; yes, sing his praises
Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds.
Exult in his holy name;
rejoice, you who worship the Lord.
Search for the Lord and for his strength;
continually seek him.
Remember the wonders he has performed,
his miracles, and the rulings he has given.
I Chronicles 16:8-12

No comments:

Post a Comment