Monday, November 22, 2010

Inches to Miles

"Can I just read one more chapter and then turn out the light?"

"Okay."

"Can I read two chapters?"

Sigh. "I give you an inch and you take a mile! One chapter and turn out the light."

It's a dialogue that's been repeated throughout generations. My parents said it to me and I've said it to my kids. I give you an inch and you take a mile! Perhaps it's because we were created to long for more.

I met a pretty girl with long brown hair and a pain in her heart. I wanted so badly to tell her that God loves her, but how do you do that with a complete stranger? What if I did and she was angry? What if I couldn't find the right words? I begged God, "Please let me tell her that You love her. Please make the way and give me the words."

He did and it was amazing! She didn't yell at me--she simply got tears in her eyes and walked away. I knew Truth had touched her heart. It was enough. I wanted to shout with joy: "Wow!! That was fun! Can I do it again?"

Immediately good manners collided with my heart's longings... You didn't even thank Him for answering your prayer! I give you an inch and you take a mile! However, those thoughts weren't from Him. He was delighted. He gives us a taste of His glory just hoping we'll want more. In fact, He challenges us to press Him for more.

What do you want? Name it: Nations as a present? continents as a prize? (Psalm 2:8 MSG)

Ask and you'll receive. (Matthew 7:7)

He's able to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. (Eph 3:20)

What is your heart longing for? Ask! He dares you... He's hoping the answer will leave you longing for more.

Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desires.
Commit everything you do to the Lord.
Trust him, and he will help you.
Psalm 37:4-5




2 comments:

  1. Good one... Did you ever hear the story of Beth Moore and the gray haired man? Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete