Friday, April 2, 2010

Crackpots


I've had an epiphany about crackpots. It seems so obvious now that I had no intention of blogging about it, but the urge hasn't gone away... Maybe, just maybe, there's a reader out there who has also failed to recognize glory in a crackpot.

Perhaps I should clarify: crackpot is My Unauthorized Version for what The New Living Translation calls "fragile clay jars". The apostle Paul wrote,
"For God, who said, 'Let there be light in the darkness,' has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves." (2 Corinthians 4:6-7)
Shockingly enough, whenever I read this verse I thought it was all about me! I'd read it and think, "Yep, if you see anything good in me at all, it's definitely because of God." And it is about me, but that's not all. You see, God has placed His glory in others around me and sometimes I miss it because I'm distracted by the imperfections or pottiness* of the vessel. Some pots are terribly cracked, some are just odd, and some don't think much of the shape I'm in either!! There are so many things that can seem more obvious than the glory that has been placed within.

God relates to us on the basis of what Christ did for us, not on our worthiness. As His hands and feet on the earth, He wants us to relate to each other the same way. I've definitely failed in this many times. And you know what? I'm pretty sure I've missed a few blessings because of it.

I've had to do some repenting and I've had to ask God to give me eyes to see the glory in some "fragile clay vessels". I love how He's willing to help us do what He wants us to do! I've noticed a difference already. I think when we relate to crackpots in a way that's honoring some of the cracks get healed--in us and in them.


*in case you didn't know, "potty" is British for "slightly crazy" :-)

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, this is beautiful! I just stumbled upon it thru Facebook (believe it or not!). What a great way to use your gift with words and inspire others!

    ReplyDelete