Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hungry Mommy??

Funny name, eh? Dreaming up user names and passwords for every different site and remembering them all is the bane of my internet existence! When I had to pick one for blogging this one popped into my head without any effort. However, explaining all the subtleties of the subconscious to someone else can be tricky...


The "Mommy" part is pretty self-explanatory, but it's not like that's what totally defines my existence. Being a mom has certainly propelled my pursuit of God to deeper levels! I can't imagine managing such a difficult role without His strength and wisdom. Also, there's nothing like the love you have for your kids to make you want to be free of those traits that hinder healthy relationships. He
is the answer for that--self-help didn't get me nearly far enough!


The "Hungry" part... Those of you who know me well are probably thinking it refers to my need to eat every three hours, or four after one of those big Thanksgiving dinner-type meals! It's actually something altogether different. I've been pondering an interesting paradox. In order for my physical body to become hungry, I need to go without eating for a while. However, when it comes to feeding myself spiritually, the less I "eat" the less hungry I get. The more I "eat", the more I discover of His incredible truth and amazingness, and the hungrier I become! I want more and more of Him.


Now, before you sigh and say to yourself that, yes, you wish you had more interest in reading the Bible, stop! God's Spirit is
never condemning. His conviction is clean and motivates us to change, so quit "shouldn'" on yourself and simply get out your Bible and read a favorite passage! Ponder it. Read it out loud. Of course it's difficult. We're busy. And you know what? There's a struggle going on to prevent you from getting hungrier. (Eph 6:12) On really busy days I appreciate a great devotional book where I can just read a page while I'm eating my breakfast. It gives me something to go on for the day. Filling ourselves with the Truth is really important because our culture shouts a million lies at us every day. Unless, we know the Truth, we believe the lies and our hearts are filled with darkness and discouragement.


Reading the Bible regularly is only one facet of this relationship though. Worshiping, praising, petitioning, delighting, and talking to other people about how great He is make a wonderful soundtrack for our lives. When I'm feeling blah or downright wretched I need praise. I put on some music that lifts me. Praise puts everything in it's proper perspective and rightful place. God is above all else and greater than our greatest trouble. When our whole posture is turned toward Him our concerns become petitions and our delights become an offering of worship. Pleasure in a sunrise or a cup of coffee or a good visit becomes worship because our focus is such that we know all those good gifts are from a God who loves us! Consciously choosing to focus on Him becomes a habit --a relationship--and we begin to see and know that His presence is constantly affecting our lives!


You know what?? He's longing for this kind of a relationship with us. Not a "God will you zap me out of this trouble," or "Lord, I wish you'd straighten out that annoying person," sort of a relationship, but a "God, you are so amazing and I want You more than anything else" sort of a relationship. If you don't feel that way, that's okay. Seek to know Him better as an act of faith that He is what He says He is and you will! The God of the universe, the mountain maker, the one who hung the stars and designed a belly button wants a relationship with you! That's why He created you. Makes you kind of hungry, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Over the last year or two in the midst of all my neurological shenanigans it has been tough to read much...your explanation of the hungry part makes a lot of sense to me. :)

    I started downloading John Piper sermons onto my mp3 and found the expository preaching a wonderful substitute for when my eyeballs are offline.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leslie! I know about chronic pain--I'll pray that you are refreshed by God's Spirit.

    ReplyDelete